Our Community Current Projects HoH The Tale of Two Battles Near to Loggerheads Country Park, nestled on the side of the Yr Wyddgrug to Rhuthun road, stands a commemorative arch. Erected in the 1700’s, the arch itself has beneath it a curiously shaped stone, one that carries with it an incredible tale. Local legend, and the commemorative plaque on the arch itself, tells us that this stone bears the marks of King Arthur’s horse, Llamrai. The story goes that King Arthur was fleeing over the nearby hills from the pursuing Saxons, who were intent on a battle. Rider and horse moved swiftly across the countryside until they came to the edge of a cliff. Torn between certain death at the hands of the Saxons and a death defying drop off the edge of a cliff, Llamrai leapt. Both horse and rider flew through the air and they landed on the stone itself with such force that the imprint of Llamrai’s fore feet left their distinct markings on the stone. Within C.H Leslies book, ‘Rambles Around Mold’, he remarks that the stone itself once stood considerably higher above the road than it does now. He also refers to the second battle with which this monument is tied – that of a land dispute between Lord Grosvenor and the Lords of the Manor of Mold. In the 1700’s, boundary stones began moving and the Lords of Mold (Edward Lloyd of Tyddyn, John Trevor of Glynde, and Anthony Swymmer) noticed that bit by bit, their land was shrinking. Suspicious of Lord Grosvenor, they launched a legal battle. Claim then counter claim then claim, this battle was fought with paper and pen as opposed to sword and shield, and in 1763 the High Court ruled in favour of the Lords of Mold and the arch was erected though it has since been moved from its original position. If you are strolling through the nearby woods, some of the boundary stones are still visible which mark the official boundary though, and the name ‘Loggerheads’ is drawn from this very dispute.